GOOOOOOOAAAAAAA-- /shot

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

So, About these Vocaloid things. [My Little Rant]

Yep, any anime freak or Asian you know might mention a thing or two about Vocaloids.

And, Yep, they're pretty old news, but still freaking big around the world.

As you all (may) know, they're totally synthesized and computerized voice programs. Any person in the world can buy the ever-so pricey Vocaloid program and create their own music using it. Just by typing in lyrics and melody.


Also, as you all SHOULD know, autotune these days, and totally pitch correcting computers real life singers use these days completely annoy the virgins out of anybody.

SO. I know a couple people that are annoyed by autotune, yet they're in LOVE with Vocaloid. I mean, is there a difference to a fake voice and a corrected bad voice? [..I honestly need an answer LOL. This isn't an argument starting question LOL, it's a question LOL.]

Vocaloid programs have cute little characters-slash-avatars, each program having a certain character with distinctive voices.



Yea, they're really cute, I have to admit. I mean, I can't resist Len Kagamine. His character design is genius: turning a usual female preppy sailor uniform into an adorable male version of the uniform.

So, I was super curious to see what his music was like, and what kind of songs these people have come up with using the program. The music was definitely different, as many people say. The electronica feel to it was interesting, and his voice was passable. Despite having the sound of an experienced pre-pubescent 12-year old (Don't take this wrong, it's not an insult LOL)

Then while I was watching the video, I was reading a comment that said the Vocaloid, Len Kagamine, can sing better than the living breathing Justin Bieber.

In my mind, I thought, "But Len is a computer program, and they can make him hit notes that can go higher than a dog whistle if they could (Don't take this wrong either. I know each Vocaloid has a certain vocal range). And Justin Bieber is a person. A human voice can only have such a limit."

And something similar, I found a video about the creators behind Miku and the rest of the Vocaloids. The voice-over-ing (YES, I KNOW IT'S NOT A WORD. DON'T GO GRAMMAR POLICE ON ME ;D) woman described Miku's voice as "A voice with a range no human could ever hope to match."

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Justin Bieber myself, and I'm not a complete Vocaloid hater (I am not a fan of them either.), but really? Comparing a totally artifical, computerized, and synthesized voice to an actual person?

C'mon now. They're like...freaking different species. They can't be compared.

If Justin Bieber ever autotuned or corrected his pitch, would it make a difference to a vocaloid?

Do NOT take this as a Vocaloid-hate rant. I DON'T hate Vocaloids, yet I am not a fan of them. I may have a small liking for Len, but it's only for his character design (LOL...) And as I mentioned before, I don't like Justin Bieber..LOL. Sorry, Mr.Bieber if you ever read this (which is practically impossible LOL)

But honestly, I'm gonna need some opinions on this. What do you guys honestly think of Vocaloids being "better" than actual people?

And please please PLEASE, I absolutely do not WANT any of that "OMGVOCALOIDS R DA BEST!!!1111! SHUDDAP! UR JST JELOUZ OF DER SKEELZ!"

...cause I just said I don't hate them LOL.

3 comments:

  1. Mehh, anything synthesized shouldn't be compared to actual singers.
    Try having a concert with those little fuckers. Synthesizers aren't used on concerts, meaning there would be no music at all, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything that's real is slowly turning into virtual stuff.

    SOON ENOUGH THERE'S GONNA BE LIKE, ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE INSIDE EXPERIENCING A VIRTUAL WORLD THAT'S 99.99% LIKE THE WORLD OUTSIDE, ONLY BETTER BECAUSE IT'S VIRTUAL AND ANYTHING HAPPENS, AND THE PEOPLE WHO ARE OUTSIDE //ENJOYING THE REAL WORLD// WILL SEEM RIDICULED LIKE THE PEOPLE WHO STAY INSIDE //ENJOYING THE VIRTUAL WORLD// TOO MUCH AT THE PRESENT.

    ...yeah.
    We b ahead o dat `cause we already do dat... yo. 8D

    /shot

    I'm not too sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... kinda like surrogates huh?

    ReplyDelete